Anyone put a wrap on a 20 Hydrodyne. How did it work? How much $$$.

Discussion in 'Hydrodyne 20' started by Dennis, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Dennis

Dennis Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1989 Hydrodyne Comp
    Ski Team:
    Tuckahoe River
  2. kevinb

kevinb Elite Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1985 HD 20' I/O 350 (Yep I/O Boat #2 of maybe7?)
    Ski Team:
    NA
    Hey Dennis, I know that the auto industry is big on wrapping vehicles for advertising but the water world is another world regarding durability. I would imagine that if the wrap on a lower part of the hull that was under water got a good nick or scar in it, it would peel back and look like crap quite quickly. Advertisement wraps above the waterline may hold up well like the vehicles we see out there but I would not go below the waterline in my humble opinion.

KevinB-

3. dynegreg1

dynegreg1 King Dyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1990 Hydrodyne 20 Open Bow
    Ski Team:
    Skimmer/Aquanut alum
    Why would you want to wrap such a beautiful boat?

4. kevinb

kevinb Elite Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1985 HD 20' I/O 350 (Yep I/O Boat #2 of maybe7?)
    Ski Team:
    NA
    X2 to Greg's comment, unless you are inquiring about another boat to wrap. You have a nice looking HD 20 outboard hull as it sits. BTW, I did my teak on the bow of my 1985 i/o intuitively with no real reference. My 85 did not have teak on the bow prior to my ownership and it needed something because the fore deck is really slippery when waxed. After looking at your teak application on your bow, I guess my application would be in line with what Ab C. and Tom M. would have intended.

5. ski38off

ski38off Photo of the Month

Boat Model and Year:
    1976 18', 200 hp, and 1977 18' 150 hp twin rig
    Ski Team:
    Lake Shelby Skiers
    Show clubs wrap dynes. I know Aaron from Central Wisconsin was talking about good and bad materials for wrapping. Maybe he is following this post and can comment.

6. barefootrocker

barefootrocker Hydrodyner

Ski Team:
    CWWSST
    I would have to agree. That Dyne looks beautiful the way it is, and I'd be inclined to leave it be. We've been wrapping our Hydrodyne and Dyna-Ski because we want to brand them with our team name, and also because they are quite yellowed from years of sun. In my experience there is a great deal of variation in the quality of material that companies use to wrap boats, and like anything, you get what you pay for. Our boats are being used in a show skiing environment which is brutal on the wraps, but I've seen some wraps last 5 or 6 seasons, and I've seen them last one season. I've gathered a few quotes over the years, and you're looking in the neighborhood of $1,400 to $2,000 or more, depending on the complexity (how many different surfaces you're covering and how many accessories they need to cut around) and the quality of material. The color scheme really has little effect on price so the sky is the limit on what designs can be used, but again I think the beauty of the Dynes lies in their simplicity. My two cents.

7. Dennis

Dennis Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1989 Hydrodyne Comp
    Ski Team:
    Tuckahoe River
    Thanks everybody for the replys and discussion about wraps. I have a grandson who has a auto and boat detailing business. He has done really good jobs on several boats I have seen. I do however agree with your comments about the great looks of my HD with its stock colors and design. This boat has held up well with care and the gel looks great so I will not be wraping it.