What kind of Dyne is this?

Discussion in 'Hydrodyne® Boats' started by 69rDyner, Mar 23, 2007.

1. 69rDyner

69rDyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1969(?) Hydrodyne
    Hello to all! New member here and this is my first post.

Late last summer I purchased this Hydrodyne and trailer for a whooping $300. It was last registered in 1990 and looks to have been sitting in the same spot the entire time. This how it looked before I bought it. I just put some new trailer whls/tires on and managed to tow it home. It is now under covered storage. Both need lots of work, but I'm willing to give it a try.

The thing is, what kind of 'Dyne is it? I have searched this forum and other sites, but have not found another Dyne that looks like mine. I was told by the "owner" that it is a 1969, but who knows. I don't have any hull numbers/engine numbers yet, but I will try to get those soon. The engine is a sml-block Ford 289/302 2-bbl carb. Owner said it runs but I have yet to fire it.

I most would like to find out:
    --What kind of outdrive is that in case I need parts?
    --Is this boat "rare"?
    --What should I look out for?

My goal for the boat is to make a fun lake/river boat. I am not into skiing, but I may give it a try. I can't do a huge restoration, but will do the best I can as $$$/time become available.

Thanks for any input!!

Attached Files:

2. kevinb

kevinb Elite Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1985 HD 20' I/O 350 (Yep I/O Boat #2 of maybe7?)
    Ski Team:
    NA
    Based on your photo's it looks to be 60's vintage hydrodyne runabout. The interceptor block is actually a 318 CID chrysler if I'm mot mistaken, not a ford marine product(289 or 302 cid). Looks like you've got some work a head of you to get it in the water but that is half the fun. Not to send you away but you may want to check out fiberglassics.com for additional info about your hull. Brial Lawson would be a great resource from their page.

Cheers!

Kevin-

3. kevinb

kevinb Elite Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1985 HD 20' I/O 350 (Yep I/O Boat #2 of maybe7?)
    Ski Team:
    NA
    As to the outdrive, thats a Volvo penta model 80 I believe.

Kevin-

4. crosbygrandson

crosbygrandson

Yes, I am pretty sure that outdrive is a Volvo-Penta.

5. crosbygrandson

crosbygrandson

Iam guessing that you will probably need to replace the floor and probably the balsa wood and stringers under the floor due to being water logged. DOes the floor feel spongy?
    I beleive that boat is more from the mid 60s.

6. 69rDyner

69rDyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1969(?) Hydrodyne
    Thanks for the comments so far!

Yes, the floor does feel spongy in one spot, but the rest of the floor seems OK. While the boat sat mostly uncovered, it was at least "tail-end-down" so any water flowed out the drain hole in the rear. It had no interior to hold the water, nor any holes drilled in the floor. At the risk of sounding totally half-a_s'd about it, I really didn't want to get into tearing up the floor of the boat. Is it unsafe to use unless doing so? I don't want to be stupid about it, but until I know if the thing floats and runs, I don't want to sink a ton of money into it. My thought on the floor was to use a thick sheet of marine plywood and silicone (or glue) it to the existing floor. I would have run long bolts with washers up through the plywood prior to glueing it down in order to mount the seats I have for it (which, interestingly enough, are from a 1966 Pontiac Bonneville front and rear bench seats. They fit PERFECTLY and are the exact same color as the boat.)

I am sure the engine is a Ford small block. The distributor is at the front of the engine and it has individual exhaust ports. Small block mopar had siamesed ports for the middle two. But I can see why someone would think differently as the angle that I took the picture at was at the rear corner looking forward! My bad for posting a tricky picture!

I know all this is not in keeping with a true restoration, but my goal is not to have a show-winning boat either. I just hated to see this cool boat going to waste in that guys driveway, so when I had a chance to get it, I did. This is not my first boat. I've had a 25' sailboat and a 25" Chris Craft cruiser. But this Dyne definitely needs more work than those other two!

Sorry for being long-winded. I am excited about getting this boat back to running condition, but if I'm in over my head already, or if my ideas are unsafe or not do-able, then I'm hoping you more experienced "Dyne"ers will tell me straight.

Thanks again

7. 2MERCS

2MERCS Administrator

Boat Model and Year:
    1973 Hydrodyne 18 w/Twin 1150 Mercs
    Everyone on this site has something to contribute and you are now one of only 2 that has a unique larger dyne. As you progress through your restoration please take photos and document your progress. If you get me the photos and a description much like MarkBano's I will be able to put it in the restoration section for all to see.

Thanks,
    Daniel

8. 69rDyner

69rDyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1969(?) Hydrodyne
    I appreciate the comment. I will definitely be taking photos of the boat as I do work on it.

I am one of only two with this type of Dyne, eh? Well, that is good AND bad! Good, as in I like to have something unique. Bad, in that now part of me wants to try to restore the boat back to nearly original condition since it is rare. I don't want to take a piece of Hydrodyne history and cobble it up if there may be only a few left. All I can say is that whatever modifications I make, I will attempt to keep the same "theme" to the boat.

I'm probably making more of this than I should. I have been involved in the old "musclecar" hobby for nearly 20 years, and I know I cringe whenever I see someone take a rare car and just ruin it by installing a bunch of weird (in my opinion) stuff. Maybe it is different with boats. I know an owner has the right to do whatever he wants to his own boat. I am just aware of the "historical" aspect of things too.

That being said......does anyone have some spare parts for this thing??? !!!!!

9. 2MERCS

2MERCS Administrator

Boat Model and Year:
    1973 Hydrodyne 18 w/Twin 1150 Mercs
    Well parts are not to bad to find. Hydrodyne used a majority of the same parts across the board only changing the hull it self. Rub Rail can be bought from Wefco Rubber etc...

There are more boats like yours, probably hiding in barns and back yards. You are only 1 of 2 on this site with one. If you look at the pics of your glass section you will find the catagory "Other Large and unique Dynes", there you will find the other. I can't think of his user name but it will come to me.

It is great to have you aboard, if you know of any other owners of the Old Hydrodyne runabouts let them know of this site. The site is lacking in the old dyne catagory.

Daniel

10. 69rDyner

69rDyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1969(?) Hydrodyne
    I went last night to try and find some kind of ID plate or something, but I could not find anything ANYWHERE! Any thoughts on where I might look? I know I have a number on the title, and I will look at that tonight, but again, who knows if it's right?

Also, The trailer is a "Holsclaw" It is a strange looking deal too, in that it is supported by EIGHT small coil springs (two at each end of the axle) and a shock absorber at each wheel. It is a "tilt" type trailer....and instead of a carpeted bunk, it has a rectangular metal beam on each side about 7' long with 16 rubber rollers (8 ea side of beam)....so that is 32 rollers total!

So, does this sound like the kind of trailer that might have been sold with the boat back in the day? Is it a good one?