1969 hydrodyne 18 speed

Discussion in 'Hydrodyne® Boats' started by 1969hydrodyne, Oct 28, 2010.

1. capt.craig

capt.craig

Boat Model and Year:
    1985 hydrodyne
    I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM TO A "T" WITH MY DYNE ,SPEND THE MONEY AND TAKE THE TIME TO TAKE THE DECK OFF RIP OUT THT THE FLOOR REPLACE STRINGERS TRANSOM AND PUT A NEW FLOOR IN, I ALSO DID A FIBER GLASS FLOOR COATING SO EASY TO JUST WASH OUT. IT IMPROVED PERFORMANCE BY 100 FOLD AND WILL NOW DO 62 MPH WITH THE SAME 175 MERC. THAT I COULD BARELY GET 34 MPH OUT OF WITH OUT WORRYING ABOUT IT DOING A NOSE DIVE.

2. PJP

PJP

This post reminds me of two sayings that friends told me about used "boats""

When they bought a used boat they realized that "BOAT" stands for "Break out another thousand". They just did not realize how often this is needed!

AND

A used "Boat" is a hole surrounded by water into which one pours money.

If you have read my other post I have an old 18' that needs stringers, floor and a transom as well as paint. I'm in the process of getting costs to make this one better than new right now.

3. dynebob1

dynebob1 Boat of the Month

Boat Model and Year:
    1998 18 OB RUA- 250XS.and 1997 Twin Rig /225 optis
    PJP,

Being a manufacturer yourself , how long does it take you figure out how much it's going to cost to refurbish that old 18 footer? You've been talking about it for weeks now. And still no pictures !!!

Bob

4. 1969hydrodyne

1969hydrodyne New Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    18 hydrodyne 1969
    Ski Team:
    Sarasota Ski-A-Rees
    Mystery Solved:

Capt Craig is correct with parts from others....

Over the past few months, the boat has continued slip in performance.

At the time I wrote this post, I was good up to 32 mph. First this dropped to 30, then 28. As the flexing became more prevalent, so the nosing under was worse. Then on a rough day, I spied some bildge water. This was a sign of something bigger as the floor is glassed off from the bildge with no pump pit. Over the two month ski break, we cut a hole in the floor with an inspection port to find a new balsa floor, a thin layer of glass, foam support for the floor, and wetness. We went out on the bay two weeks later to get the boat ready for Spring ski season, relegating the boat to light duty with new skiers and a max speed of 25 mph, hoping to make it through until a summer refit. Within an hour the plywood floor parted on the starboard side. The stout floor was providing a large amount of support for the week bottom which lacks the proper cloth and mat construction. With this support gone, the boat became a magic carpet nosing under at 18 mph. The boat is no longer safe to operate. Hello refit. I'll have to start new thread...stay tuned