18 I-O engine cover question

Discussion in 'Hydrodyne® Boats' started by oldskier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. oldskier

oldskier Established Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    197? Hydrodyne 18 I-O
    The cover on the boat I a rebuilding was blown off on the highway by a previous owner and I have repaired and refinished it. I see no clue as to what kind of mechanism it had to prop it open for maintenance or what keeps it from flopping open all the way over the stern and ripping itself off. I don't see any holes where hydraulic struts might have been. Could somebody tell me what holds it up and on? Pics would be the bomb.

Thanks, Bernie

2. kevinb

kevinb Elite Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1985 HD 20' I/O 350 (Yep I/O Boat #2 of maybe7?)
    Ski Team:
    NA
    My 18 has always hat a cable (with cable clamps) anchored to the engine block on a lift point and on the front grill of the cover for the engine cover (ok, the cable doesn't show up in the grill because of the pylon but it is there:) . See attached pics IMG114.jpg IMG113.jpg .

3. oldskier

Boat Model and Year:
    197? Hydrodyne 18 I-O
    Kevin, Thanks. Simple, effective and ECONOMICAL! I love it.

4. kevinb

kevinb Elite Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1985 HD 20' I/O 350 (Yep I/O Boat #2 of maybe7?)
    Ski Team:
    NA
    Also take note that the tie down straps are available at any large semi tractor lot (brought the ones in the pics at a Peterbuilt sales lot). Just an FYI so that you don't have to go find and recover the engine cover again.

Kevin

5. oldskier

Boat Model and Year:
    197? Hydrodyne 18 I-O
    Thanks, I have the original T handle straps already installed. I have to assume that the previous owner forgot to strap it down, and I saw no evidence of the steel cable in the boat, so it likely took flight. The area where the hinge mounted and the whole rear section of th cover was ripped to shreds and 'fixed' with a single layer of fiberglass mat, liberal amounts of bondo and a rattle can.....