1963? Hydrodyne custome deluxe 1700 restoration thread

Discussion in 'Restoration Projects & Questions' started by BEFU-Brian, Feb 10, 2015.

1. BEFU-Brian

BEFU-Brian Established Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    86 Formula 272LS, 1963 17' Hydrodyne custom deluxe
    Sanded it out and put another coat on the white, I think that is it for the actual bottom. Not perfect, but it is good enough that I can wetsand or buff it out in the future if I want to. Will definitely wax it before I flip it back over. So I put it out in the sun today to bake for a bit. Paint dries touch free fairly fast, but it is still pretty soft to sand the next day. So I hope the sun baking it will allow me to sand out the sides and put another coat on it tonight. might be the last one for the sides, maybe two more. Either way, it looks nice enough for me. Even has a sparkle in the sun, and that is "As Roll and tipped". IMG_5245.JPG IMG_5243.JPG

2. BEFU-Brian

Boat Model and Year:
    So, finally called it quits on having the boat upside down.

Recently I had found my left over balsa core. Had an 8" wide piece about 42" long, so I used it to brace the deck. Applied a layer of matt, then a slurry of thickened resin to the area. Pressed the balsa core piece down into this and covered it with about 4 layers of matt. Just in case some kid ever decides to stand on the front deck, it shouldn't buckle under the load of stupidity.

I also used almost 2 gallons of 3 pound urethane foam. I finished filling in or reinforced where the foam already was. The old foam was aged and had worked loose from many of the sides. So to help reinforce the light glass on the top deck side rails, I filled them in more. Now when you lean on the top rails along the cockpit, you do not get any sounds of glass shifting on the foam structure beneath. Should be good for another 50 years now.

Then we flipped it, used three fork lifts to make it simple, easy and safe. Lift it, move the trailer, drop one rear corner, lift same corner from other side, set back on trailer. Have to get a picture of it back on the trailer. Now I can reinstall the seat base and start on the front seat also. IMG_5385.JPG IMG_5390.JPG

3. J.R. Watkin

J.R. Watkin New Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1961-2 Hydrodyne w/Volvo Penta AQ100
    HI Brian, I have an original AQ100 Volvo penta Manual >> I will copy and send you any specs or info you need to take out unit > The early AQ100's had an R-zippa joint instead of gimbal bearing. Have had mine apart but has been YEARS ago .

let me know
    J.R.

4. BEFU-Brian

Boat Model and Year:
    Thank you for the offer JR. I do have the electronic copy of the AQ100 volvo manual, I think I got it from the historical section of the volvo website actually!

5. Rockosocko

Rockosocko Hydrodyner

Great info and pics! Will you be pulling the rub-rail or masking off?
    E

6. waldo

waldo Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1962 Hydrodyne Delux 1700 / 1965 Hydrodyne 1700
    Hi Brian,

Can't thank you enough for taking the time to document your restoration. Your narrative, photographs and comments from the other members are invaluable. As you can see from the picture, I am about to embark on my own "rotten floor journey". I sure would appreciate some guidance as to how you went about removing the transom without damaging the outside gelcoat.

Wally Cooper
    Gainesville, GA

Attached Files:

7. BEFU-Brian

Boat Model and Year:
    Hey Wally, first time back on the site in a long time, sorry for the delayed response. Been awhile, so you might have already gotten yours done.

The outside glass was about 1/4" thick if I remember, so it was pretty tough. It would flex some, but I never did manage to crack it. I did take it off in layers and in the end had to shave it / sand it off. How did your floor resto turn out or how is it going?

Rocko, I did not remove the rub rail for painting the deck. As I have mentioned, this is a stand off restoration, not a show piece. What I ended up doing is flexing the rub rail back a bit just to make sure it wasn't going to retract any more. Then I taped it off with painters tape just overlapping the tape onto the deck. A razor blade run right along the crease in the tape gave a nice clean line. I should have removed the rub rail, but life gets busy and the project languishes so I just pushed ahead.

I ended up buying a beugler pin striper to do the deck lines in urethane top coat paint. Got about half of it done, then it got cold. I will get back to it soon and I will be posting pictures again.

8. waldo

waldo Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1962 Hydrodyne Delux 1700 / 1965 Hydrodyne 1700

Hi Brian,

Thank you for your response. I have finished the core and painted and re-installed the seat platform. I was very lucky the transom was solid but I still reinforced it with a layer of 1/2" marine plywood. I used epoxy for everything. I should have the hull interior finished as original and the front seat installed by the end of May. Great to be retired! Continued good luck with your project. Please keep the pix and info coming.
    Wally

9. BEFU-Brian

Boat Model and Year:
    So life continues to happen, but I have made some progress on the Dyne. finished the body work for now and shot it with a coat of paint. Got the lines done in a nice urethane using my striper. Engine compartment is also done in a nice urethane white. Lots to do, but ready to attach some parts to include the transom so I can finally drop my motor back in. Gas tank has been cleaned out, painted on the outside, inside treated with POR15 gas tank treatment, a new sending unit and a new fuel pickup. Now for a few updated pics.

IMG_6976.JPG

10. BEFU-Brian

Boat Model and Year:
    Couple more
    IMG_7021.JPG IMG_7023.JPG