1963? Hydrodyne custome deluxe 1700 restoration thread

Discussion in 'Restoration Projects & Questions' started by BEFU-Brian, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Rockosocko

Rockosocko Hydrodyner

HEY...! I have a question/favor!
    With that picture, could you PLEASE circle/point to where your HIN tag/plate/embossing is??
    I spent about 2hrs yesterday looking for ANYTHING and can't find squat..

It looks like the floor had been 'worked on' sometime back, and hope I'm NOT stuck with a project that I can't do anything with because I can't register it..
    It's got numbers from '01 so Tennessee should be able to "pull it up" but Mississippi wants bill of sale WITH notarized regs and numbers..
    Don't mean to jack your thread.

Errol

2. Rockosocko

Rockosocko Hydrodyner

Also, I started a "Dustless blasting" type of blasting service a few years ago (slowed way down since I had to come back from retirement) and looks like I'll be blasting the whole thing. Just at around 70lbs psi. and real fine glass.
    And it looks like there is all sorts of mold/crud that's stuck behind the trim. THAT'S why I was asking how to remove it. (plus, like you stated, the first 3 screw heads just broke off..)
    I'll see what a pressure washer will do, and hope it won't come out while painting.

Thanks again.
    E

3. BEFU-Brian

BEFU-Brian Established Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    86 Formula 272LS, 1963 17' Hydrodyne custom deluxe
    There is no hull ID on these. Mine had a piece of aluminum plate screwed to the transom with two stainless screws with the hull ID engraved onto it. Engraved like you would get done on a mug at the mall. Just plain aluminum plate, not like it had other information on it.

Good luck with the trim. That is a tough call to make.

4. Rockosocko

Rockosocko Hydrodyner

Thank you Sir.
    I printed this out for the local DMV, Fish n Wildlife etc, and with all the pics of my boat I'll be adding, I should be able to get the necessary documentation that's required.. (all they really want it the TAX MONEY anyhow.)
    I think there should be some kind of "sticky" as to the peeps that have the tags, numbers etc. that they should attach pics of where on the vessel they are and what year their boat is.
    If "new" old Hydrodyners feel that it's a loosing battle to even get the boat in their name, these boats might just disappear into history.

THEN.. on the trim and rub rail.. How is it attached to the boat?
    When I was rolling it back in it's temp home space, I was able to get the bow way up so if any water makes it past the cover, it'll drain easier.
    Walking forward, I saw 'stuff' sticking out from under the rub rail. Well, it was like degraded plywood (?) with tiny sugar ants all over it.. (already must've killed 2000 of them already)
    "sigh"

Thanks again for the info.
    E

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  5. BEFU-Brian

Boat Model and Year:
    Well, another winter is ending. I had a blown exhaust gasket at the end of last year. I removed all of the intake and exhaust, cleaned all the surfaces and bought a new volvo gasket. Only later did I realize there is a difference between a volvo gasket and a volvo-penta gasket. The main one being there is an extra bolt hole right in the middle for the cars. That bolt hole over laps right up to the exhaust opening in the boat manifold, which allowed it to blow open after a couple hours of running. Since I already had the gasket, I used a punch to cut a plug to fill in the extra bolt hole, then sealed everything up. Run it and then re-torque the bolts. When I had removed the old gasket, all the bolts came off real easy like they had set and were not pulling in real hard.

Cleaned it off, charged up the battery, scrubbed the bilge out again and it is ready! Got it running on the hose and idling pretty good. Need to run it and check the plugs again after running.

I need to make a "Hydrodyne" logo for the starboard side of the hull, fix some LED light issues on the trailer and mount some retro cup holders. Only thing not working is the lift cylinder, just need to get a hose and bolt that on. But it is easy to just lift the drive and clip it up at the ramp.

Got it running on the hose and idling pretty good. Need to run it and check the plugs again after running.

I will post more water pics soon!

6. BEFU-Brian

Boat Model and Year:
    IMG_0753.jpg IMG_0749.JPG IMG_0638.jpg
    Just realized I never posted more pictures.

So the first two pictures are out on Salamonie Reservoir in North East Indiana. We camp out there and are able to beach the boats right below the campsite at a sandy spot. We spent a few nights out there and got do do some great boating in the dyne. Ran it enough that I actually had to go to the Pirates cove marina to buy gas. Even pulled a tube a few times, worked great. I think one of the coolest things is running the boat on the sme lake that the original boats were tested on way back when. Kinda nostalgic.

with one or two people up front, the top speed is 35 mph on GPS. Feels like you are flying compared to running the 272 Formula!

The trailer picture is after pulling it out at the public launch at lake Wawasee in indiana. This is a pretty busy lake and on a sunday afternoon, the ride is definitely punishing. I was wondering how well I had redone the core, but after a few hard hits and nothing was wrong, i am happy.

This boat just runs now. There is still a slight hesitation coming off idle where it seems to lean out. It is getting better, but you have to kind of goose the throttle to get it past the stumble, but then it is perfect. Really digging this boat.

Name is Tempus Fugit. Latin for Time flies or Time flees. Fitting for something so old. This winter I want to replace the front rub rail.

7. BEFU-Brian

Boat Model and Year:
    The 3D printed Hydrodyne logo on the starboard side worked out well. Glued it on in the three separate pieces, can't even really tell unless you get really close.

I also need the pennant flag post for the front. needs the hydrodyne pennant flying on the front! End of November and I am already looking forward to summer 2020.