How bad is a rotten floor really?

Discussion in 'Hydrodyne® Boats' started by Rockosocko, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Rockosocko

Rockosocko Hydrodyner

I picked up my dyne mostly for looks and wife wanted something to ski behind (she didnt' say that it HAD TO run..) but I like older machinery better it seems.

ANywho, so for what I've read it looks like i'll be replacing the floor. But when I looked it over i kinda 'bounced' around while inside and didn't really feel a saggy/soft floor.
    With that said, How bad is B A D to where you can't run it?
    I mean, I've known some people that have had rotten floors for YEARS and for some reason didn't replace or fix (most likly $$$$) and the boat still ran that you'd never know it.

Does the water side or undernieth flex to the point of failure and sink or what?

On mine, I'm thinking of just getting it up and running first, chasing down gremlins and then start tearing out the floor during winter/cold water temps.
    Would running it with soft/rotten floors hurt it for another season?

Thanks

2. kevinb

kevinb Elite Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1985 HD 20' I/O 350 (Yep I/O Boat #2 of maybe7?)
    Ski Team:
    NA
    A few pics, and the age of the boat would go far with a quality response from this site regarding the potential issues you mention (should be a serial # on the drivers-side transom if produced in the 70's which would help). If post-1972 to 73, there were stringers installed above the core and then decked with 1/2 inch marine plywood, and if left to weather, the floor and stringers would be questionable, and possibly the core. Previous to this date range (as stated by Jim) "the core is the floor" and if there is deflection in this system, be prepared for a "journey." There are plenty of really nicely detailed restoration discussions of the re-core, re-core and new stringers and deck , new stringers and deck over a good core (which I did with my 1985 HD 20 in 2012), or simply a new deck (which I did with my 1975 HD 18 in 2000) in the restoration section of the Site. Let us know what vintage you are dealing with and there will be more detailed responses and X-links within this site to give you reference to you maybe tasked with.

Kevin-

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    timsprandel likes this.
  3. Rockosocko

Rockosocko Hydrodyner

Thank you Kevin. (lets see if this works..)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HEY! IT WORKED!!
    The history is pretty sketchy to say the least. But here goes..
    Auto/tow/boat repair place closing doors, selling off what they could, had auction, Buddy did a trade/purchase for a few boats for
    C H E A P!!, I did a trade/purchase from buddy and saw the dyne 'out back' and had to get it. (LOTS smaller than my 89 Ebtide)
    Buddy said that he had it running a couple years ago, but it's been sitting outside and covered if the tarp didn't blow off or degrade.
    He's a good friend but just took him at his word that it ran. The boat is still sitting at his place about 1.5hrs from me. so I just can't answer some simple questions, like vin tag, (to which I looked and looked but didn't see anything. From what I've read here and other sites, Those tags seem to be elusive..) Also, that's the excuse for not getting better pics of the floor either.
    I'm not the most knowledgeable on boats, but he said that it was kind of 'unique' that it is L-hand steer (don't remember seeing
    or being in one that's L-hand steer)

I guess that I'm just going to plan on a whole floor re-do. But til then, I'll get her back home here and get going on the motor and drive to make sure it's water' worthy.
    Oh, and just purchased a 3.0 Mercruiser motor/outdrive and another outdrive for 50.00!! from him.(In addition to and extra clone Volvo motor from the guy that had the auction in the first place for 20.00)
    The laid back windshield is the one that I'll be utilizing for my dyne. I think it just adds that "WOW WHAT'S THAT" factor
    (i'd love to see if the bell housing for a supercharged 3.8 GM V6 would bolt to the 3.0's bell..?
    Can you see the ADHD coming through?

Thanks guys. Errol

4. Rockosocko

Rockosocko Hydrodyner

It's even got cast aluminum fenders on the trailer! NEVER seen those either..

BUT, like I asked a bit ago, The floor doesn't look like "worm dirt", and where I bounced around on it, didn't feel like it was saggy..

E

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  5. Rockosocko

Rockosocko Hydrodyner

Kevin, Here's the pics.
    Any wisdom that you can share? Like I said, it's about 1.5hrs from me. So next time I post pics I should have it here, and
    I'll have as many pics as one would want.

E

6. kevinb

kevinb Elite Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    Ski Team:
    NA
  7. kevinb

kevinb Elite Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    Ski Team:
    NA
    Not to bail on you:

Actually, there are two folks that you may want to connect with. The above mentioned has a similar hull that you are attempting to take on, but the other restoration would be this one to follow.

http://www.hydrodyners.com/forum/index.php?threads/1972-keel-up-restoration.1520/ if your core is breached. Both are dealing with the structural (core) issues that maybe the gremlin's you will be seeing.

8. Rockosocko

Rockosocko Hydrodyner

Thank you sir. I'm not in a HUGE rush to do fiberglass work in 105+ deg weather here..
    Main thing is to get her running and go from there. That's why I asked the question, if I get it running reliable i'll take it to a local lake and see if it floats or..

I'll read over the threads and maybe PM them.
    Thanks again.
    Errol

9. BEFU-Brian

BEFU-Brian Established Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    86 Formula 272LS, 1963 17' Hydrodyne custom deluxe
    your boat is a twin to mine, I tried to fit the 3.0 merc, but no luck. I didn't want to hack on the back seat and scoop, so went original.

Forgot you were located in TN.

10. Rockosocko

Rockosocko Hydrodyner

THAT'S the cornfusing part.. I'm seeing "Dynes" with the 3.0 in them and have T O N S of room!!
    Brian, PM me about 'reviving' the Vulva/penta.
    (just can't believe I have a one now. From my experience, peeps that drive Volvos seem to be Oblivious and ignorant of just the basic
    of driving skills. If one is near me on the road, I try and get away because it's just a matter of -short- time before they do something asinine..)
    I know, YES I know that its' just the motor/outdrive but..

There was a gent about 2hrs from me that had a dyne for sale that I didn't find out about until I got mine..
    Hind-sight is 20/20 I guess..
    Thanks E