First Post as a Hydrodyne Owner

Discussion in 'Hydrodyne® Boats' started by sTeve U., Sep 12, 2016.

1. sTeve U.

sTeve U. Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    Hydrodyne
    Ski Team:
    Pine Lake ON
    I Guys,

I just picked up (What I was told is a 1984 20' model). The 150 XP Evinrude is Mechaninaly sound and all cylinders are firing at 100psi which i'm told is what they are capable of (as they were low compression engines). SO basically I think I just bought a solid and mechanically sounds boat, that needs cosmetic work.....its a project!

I haven't even taken that boat for a ride yet! I currently own a 2005 Malibu wakebaord boat, and was craving a seperate ski boat to slalom in the ski course with, so I lucked out with a hydrodyne. it was that or a J-Craft which i grew up learning on. I'm really excited with this boat, as it seems like such a rugged ski boat for the family and our small Muskoka ON lake!!!!

I'll attach current photos, but basically the boat needs a good paint job. I plan on using a Red and White color combo, with a roll on interlux paint. im open to suggestions for a good and easily applied product.

the upholstery is terrible and the carpet stinks, and could use a replacement. As far as I can tell (and what the marina told me) is that the floors and transom are solid.

So i'm planing on doing new flooring. not sure if i want a rugged vinyl floor or a new glued down carpet.

My hope with this posting, is to get some adivce and experience while I try and get this boat looking like a 10+

thanks.
    looking forward to bringing the tired boat, back to life. AND to skiing behind it before the season wraps up.

Attached Files:

2. dynegreg1

dynegreg1 King Dyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1990 Hydrodyne 20 Open Bow
    Ski Team:
    Skimmer/Aquanut alum
    I personally wouldn't paint it. I would just take off the little hardware and just wet sand and buff really well. You will be amazed how it will come back to new.

Greg

3. sTeve U.

sTeve U. Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    Hydrodyne
    Ski Team:
    Pine Lake ON
    Hey Greg,

That's what the guy at the marina had recommended as well. I'm really not loving the colors and wanted to do a red and white space would really make the boat look like something a lot newer than the eighties boats.

Is it really not a great way to update the boat? Interested to hear the pros and cons painting. But thought a lot of people had success using the two-part polyurethane interlux paint.

4. kevinb

kevinb Elite Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1985 HD 20' I/O 350 (Yep I/O Boat #2 of maybe7?)
    Ski Team:
    NA
    X2 regarding Greg and your marina guy. I like these boats (and others) in their original Gel, paint makes them look artificial. It's a process to get gelcoat back but it does look nice in the end if there is something to work with. Hard to see by the pics how bad yours went to weather but my 85 was pretty abused by the TX sun but is very presentable now with a little patina in the gel here and there.

Would also be a little leery with the deck with the amount of weathering the interior has seen. I would walk around and check for deflection, if solid, re-carpet or cover, if not, out comes the deck.

If the drivers seat is too far gone, Todd Marine makes a replacement that is pretty close. I brought my seats from Todd (didn't have the originals) and also ordered matching fabric for the bolsters and back seat from Todd. They were really acomodating and very reasonable.

My 1985 HD 20 I/O restoration pics are somewhere in the Restoration Section for reference if yo want to see a bunch of photos of the mess I started with. Regarding getting the resto done and skiing it before this season wraps up, I would set the bar a bit lower and get it running, cover the chairs and bench with beach towels and have a little fun. Then tear into it in the fall/winter. Good luck and keep us posted on the progress.

Kevin-

5. dynegreg1

dynegreg1 King Dyner

Boat Model and Year:
    Ski Team:
    Skimmer/Aquanut alum
    Here is an example of a weathered Hydrodyne. I wet sanded the right bow, and buffed it with the various compounds. It came back to like new. So you can see with a little elbow grease these boats can look great again.

Attached Files:

6. footndale

footndale Established Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    None
    Ski Team:
    Retired
    If you want a different color, vinyl wrap it. Otherwise wet sand, compound buff, polish buff and wax buf.

7. sTeve U.

sTeve U. Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    Hydrodyne
    Ski Team:
    Pine Lake ON
    Is painting that uncommon?
    Dynegreg1, your boat looks awesome. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be happy with freshened up version of the original colors.

Has anyone out there had a good experience repainting a these fiberglass boats?

8. dynegreg1

dynegreg1 King Dyner

Boat Model and Year:
    Ski Team:
    Skimmer/Aquanut alum
    Quite a few have had some great luck painting these boats. Some have had some nightmares. You have to make sure you know exactly what materials to use, and know what you are doing.

Attached pictures are of a Dyne paint job that went bad.

Attached Files:

9. sTeve U.

sTeve U. Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    Hydrodyne
    Ski Team:
    Pine Lake ON
    Alright, alright.

Change of plans. I'll buff, Polish, and wax the back to the original colour and hopefully shine.

This will be my karate kid, wax on wax off project. For the spring.

I'll do new drivers seat, spotters bench (which I love faces both forward and backwards), and rear bench.

Does anyone know of a thread for making, andmounting a pole for a barefoot boom?

10. kevinb

kevinb Elite Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1985 HD 20' I/O 350 (Yep I/O Boat #2 of maybe7?)
    Ski Team:
    NA
    That's funny, not just wax on wax off, at the end of the day, it will feel like your arms will fall off but worth the effort. On the 85, I stepped the wet sanding from 600 grit, to 1000, then to 2000 with a spritzer bottle filled with a little dish soap and water, followed by 2 steps of light abrasives, and two levels of sealants with power tools above the chines on my 1985. I got burned out and did 4 levels of compounds beneath the chines with power tools 3 years ago. The hull beneath the chines needs to receive the same wet-sand and I have to get under the boat and finish it. Will be wearing most of it on me and have put it off because of this.

For the amount of $$ to be spent for paint prep and painting, a suggestion would be to wet sand and get a Porter Cable Model 7346 orbital sander/buffer and some Meguiar's pads (or equivalent) to do the buff-out with the various low-abrasive compounds after wet sanding. The end result looks really "wet" if done right. Projects give you license to purchase cool tools.

Kevin-