Help Id This Boat Please.

Discussion in 'Hydrodyne Runabouts' started by Chris_hydrodyne, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Chris_hydrodyne

Chris_hydrodyne New Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    Not Sure
    Ski Team:
    None
    I got this boat from an old friend that passed away and I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for a restore.
    I'm not sure what model this is.
    I was told that it's a 1700 rid & glide. It has a Volvo Penta engine and that's about all i know.
    I'm putting pictures below.
    Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. kevinb

kevinb Elite Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1985 HD 20' I/O 350 (Yep I/O Boat #2 of maybe7?)
    Ski Team:
    NA
    Probably one of these based on the limited pics and lack of interior shots. Best of luck with it and sorry to hear about your friend.

KevinB

Attached Files:

3. Chris_hydrodyne

Boat Model and Year:
    Not Sure
    Ski Team:
    None
    I can add/take any picture needed to help just let me know, thank you again for the help.
    Here are a few more.
    I was just wondering if this is a "Lost" Project....
    It has sat outside In the weather of Ohio (Snow Rain...) for a while. only half the floor moves a little when you stand on it.
    Thank you again Kevinb

Attached Files:

4. kevinb

kevinb Elite Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    Ski Team:
    NA
    Based on the recent pics. it would appear that the balsa core (vital and verry necessary structural element of the hull) has turned to dirt. You should check out the 'Restoration" section of this web page and also search the Fiberglassics.com web-site for core replacement strings and inquire with others who have gone through a core replacement. You will probably spend several $$ more than the boat is "currently" worth but if you hang onto it after your done, it may be a wash.

Kevinb-

5. kevinb

kevinb Elite Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    Ski Team:
    NA
    Attached is a vintage pic of how it was done back in the day.
    kevin-

Attached Files:

6. Shawn C.

Shawn C. New Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1961 17' Hydrodyne I/O
    A virtual diamond in the rough! Your boat doesn't appear to be to much further gone than mine.It is has been a fairly labor intensive restoration project for me but the final reward will be well worth it. If you get a chance check out, "50 year old restored Hydrodyne on Gardameer 2011", on You tube. its a wonderful example of what potential the boat has! That video keeps me motivated!!!

7. wentworthto1

wentworthto1 Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1961 Hydrodyne I/O BB70
    the windshield is one piece and from the looks of the dash and the structure of the middle of the boat, I am very sure it is a 1960-61. If it is a 17 ft., then it looks like you are missing the back bench seat. Can you take some more pictures of that area and of the engine? If the engine has 1 carb, then it is the BB70 85 hp from 1961. If it has 2 carbs, then it is the BB80 110 hp from 1962. I just launched my restored '61 yesterday! Pictures are coming! After 7 years of tinkering and the lst 4 months of intensive labor, it finally made it to the water. Worth all the effort, trust me! If you decide it's worth the time, then go for it! If not, then I would be interested in some parts...especially your windshield! I live in Butler, PA (just north of Pittsburgh) Where in Ohio are you? I will be travelling through Ohio Friday and the following weekend as well. If you are close by, I could possibly stop and take a look. I will be towing my boat with me!

8. Chris_hydrodyne

Boat Model and Year:
    Not Sure
    Ski Team:
    None
    Sorry For the delay I was traveling for work.
    I live near Cincinnati I've cents discovered from the first owner me being number three, that the boat has only ever been in the water three times EVER. They parked it and there it sat. Another little note I forgot to add is While clearing out the plant life from the boat water came out of a small hole behind the front bench seat. it was clear water no chunks if that matters. My question is say I wanted to cut what floor there was to have a look at the Core would this be a good Idea....?
    Thank you all again for all your help.
    Chris

9. wentworthto1

wentworthto1 Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1961 Hydrodyne I/O BB70
    Well Chris, that hole is meant to be there. It drains any water out that might have gotten in the air chamber under the bow all the way back to the first bench seat. If there has been water in there for some time, then it probably has made it to the core. I found that not all the original wood core and stringers in my boat were properly sealed with resin and fiberglass. I would suggest first that you look for any delamination of the fiberglass skin from the floor. Take a screw driver or hammer and tap on the floor. If it thuds and doesn't make a sharp crisp sound, that means that water has found it's way in. Next, I would take a small bit and drill to a depth of 1/4 inch in the floor and see if it is wet. The wood will come out dark and black if it is rotten. There are three main stringers that run the length of the floor. Find the center stringer and drill a 3/4 inch small diameter bit into it. You will be able to tell if it is rotten the same way as the floor. If both the floor and the stringers are wet, it is time to tear it out and check the core. However, if you want to know what possible shape the balsa core is in, get under the engine and drill a 1/4 inch small bit into the core. You will notice that the boat's floor ends at the opening of the engine compartment and then the hull core continues to extend under the engine. If the core is bad at any point, chances are that the whole core is bad because they used long grain balsa which wicks water the entire length of the balsa boards. I recored using end grain balsa which isolates any water penetration. Let me know what you find. Also, check out my pictures of the restoration!