hot rod 18

Discussion in 'Hydrodyne 18' started by hotroddyne, Jan 29, 2010.

1. hotroddyne

hotroddyne

Boat Model and Year:
    73 hydrodyne18
    ..i mostly build hot rod cars ....but i spent some time over the last year doing this hydrodyne....i fell in love with the motor cover...it reminded me of a drag car cold airintake...so i had to have one....thought you might like to see a hot rod guys take on this kind of boat

Attached Files:

2. RICKJ

RICKJ

Boat Model and Year:
    1961 16 FT HYDRODYNE
    WOW !!!!!!!!!!!
    I am also into old cars mostly (66 Mustang. and 56 Studebaker)
    The Hydrodyne I stumbled on to recently just caught my eye for the neat hardware and old car styling
    Dont think I will ever get to your level of restoration. Great job!
    Rick

3. hotroddyne

hotroddyne

Boat Model and Year:
    73 hydrodyne18
    nice...thanks for the comment...i agree the lines and hardware of the inboard 60s and 70s dynes especially just ooze classic car to me.....from the merc dash panel reminding me of an old tbucket.. to the motor cover reminding me of a alcohol fueled drag car....great curves

4. RICKJ

RICKJ

Boat Model and Year:
    1961 16 FT HYDRODYNE
    Hi again
    How did you get such a great paint job, or is is gel coat?
    Rick

5. hotroddyne

hotroddyne

Boat Model and Year:
    73 hydrodyne18
    well it wasnt cheap..ha...its all "house of color" candys...with 8 coats of clear...and a bunch of airbrush work by an incredible local painter here......i pretty much painted it like i would a custom car....this boat rarely sees salt water...and its never in the water for more than a few days at a time.....plus i dont really like the look of the thick gel-coats....another reason i love the inboards is im working on a car motor not a boat motor....i know the outboards perform and steer better...but working on a motor type i can take apart in my sleep was much more appealing to me...plus you can actually dress up the motor with chrome..valve covers..air cleaner..brackets.....braided hoses..all that cool car stuff...you cant really do that with a outboard boat motor...ill post some pictures of under the hood if yer interested

6. RICKJ

RICKJ

Boat Model and Year:
    1961 16 FT HYDRODYNE
    Sure, I would love to see them

7. init4thefun

init4thefun Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1976 Hydrodyne 18
    Your boat is breathtaking. There are few words worthy. Great job!