Looking at a 1995 Hydrodyne Grandsport Open Bow

Discussion in 'Hydrodyne® Boats' started by woodenboatguy, Sep 7, 2012.

1. woodenboatguy

woodenboatguy

Boat Model and Year:
    None
    I am looking at a 1995 Hydrodyne Grandsport Open Bow.
    specs:
    20.5ft
    300 hours
    PCM GT-Pro Boss 40
    Excellent condition.

Need some input on this boat and if any of you that own it, what are your thoughts? Looking at a 1997 Nautique too with the same hours, but it is not an open bow and is 3K more without trailer. What is maintenance like on the Hydrodyne boat/motor? How well does it jump out of the hole when fully loaded with people, etc.. How good is this motor? It appears to be a Ford motor, but I wanted to double check. How have these boats handled the wear and tear over the years, etc... What is the "load" rating? 6 people or more?

I own a 1994 Crownline I/O with a 4.3L and it just can't do the job I need it to do.

Basic Needs:
    1. Wakeboarding, but not the surfing thing. Just normal wakeboard, and I will use the normal post for now.
    2. Kneeboarding - Yes, I am an old Kneeboarder from the mid-80s / 90s
    3. Slalom Skiing
    4. Tubing - 2 or 3 tubes at a time.

I have a 13 year old, 10 year old, and 4 year old.

2. pistl

pistl Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    Ski Team:
    Ski Bellevue
    I've owned a 1990 Ski Nautique (closed bow) and currently own a 2000 Sport Nautique with the open bow. Both have been great boats. The engine in that inboard Dyne is a Ford engine and is a good one. I have no experience with the Grandsport Dyne, but I know outboard Dynes are good solid boats. I would expect nothing else from their inboards. With 3 kids you may want the extra room of an open bow. Unless you are on a lake or river with your own dock/slip, the open bow is easier to get into and out of esp. for kids. Sounds like the Grandsport is much cheaper than the Correct Craft you are looking at. (If you check Correctcraftfan.com there are many other correct crafts for sale there, with prices all over the place.) With 3 small children I would worry more about solid reliability and less about a perfect interior. The kids will spill drinks, have sandy feet, maybe put tears in seats with the fins of skis, etc. This is just normal wear and tear, but if you buy a pristine boat, it will drive you nuts. I don't believe they make the Grandsport anymore, so I wonder about parts availability. (I'm sure the Dyne experts here can help, I may be way off base with that.) Parts for the engine would not be a problem. Hopefully a Grandsport owner out there will give his opinion. Glad to see you are taking your kids boating. On many boat For Sale Ads I read "Have kids now, no time to use the boat". I don't really understand that at all. There is no better family sport! Good Luck. :)