Need Hull Restoration

Discussion in 'Restoration Projects & Questions' started by engineerMich, Mar 26, 2017.

1. engineerMich

engineerMich New Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    19964 Hydrodyne
    I have a 1964 Hydrodyne as shown in my profile picture. I bought this in 1982 (I was 17.) and have kept it up mechanically. The Volvo AQ100 purrs. However, I failed to keep water out, and the wood on the bottom was completely rotted. In 2015 I had a guy restore the wood and re-fiberglass. It looked great, but then I took it out on the water a few times, with the bench seat and spring bouncing on the waves, it pretty much ripped out the fiberglass job. Eventually the top layer ripped up. Now when I plane out the hull takes a completely deformed shape to the wood/fiberglass that is there. I'm guessing that he didn't hold the boat properly when doing the work and he probably couldn't use the asbestos fiberglass combination like the original for the strength. So, I believe there is a real structural integrity problem here. Another guy told me he would do it all over again and would use fiberglass and asbestos and it would be stronger, and he wanted $5K to do it. I would like to see this boat come back to life, either for me or for someone else. I'm open to all suggestions and comments, but please don't beat me up too bad for the water damage. That's another story...;)

My questions are: Is it really repairable? How much should this cost? Is it worth fixing? Would it sell easier for parts or as a whole?