Origin of the "Dynaski" name

Discussion in 'Dyna-Ski' started by Tibadoflyer, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Tibadoflyer

Tibadoflyer New Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1992 18' (last old 18 made) extra heavy Paul Model
    When my father and I went to pick up our 1992 Hydrodyne 18' from Tom Miller we were really buying Bill Paul's custom made extra glass, extra epoxy, double layer inside and out boat he had built for himself. In the course of our stay and transaction Tom related his story of losing the right to call the boats "Hydrodyne". Our rig HAS the original "Hydrodyne" script decal because Bill had built it for himself and just happened to have some decals around to finish the job!

I thought it was a shame to see the name restricted from his use and I just offhandedly said he should use a new name and ad campaign whose slogan would be "Ski a dynasty with Dyneski". I spelled it with an "e" to reflect the "Dyne" heritage. Tom liked the idea and repeated the slogan several times. As I left I jokingly said "Hey if you use Dyneski I'll only charge you $500 since it came so quick". That is the origin of the "Dynaski" and "Dyneski" names. I came back to Nebraska and copyrighted both names because I thought they were cool. As long as Tom used them I didn't have a problem (I figured I could squeeze a rub rail out of him). But when others took them over I thought about litigation. I'm just not that way and let it go. Then I sold two Dynaski boats out here in the plains and set up a third sale but never got paid my commission on any of them. I'm sure you all know who I'm talking about and it isn't Tom.

We love our 1992 18' Hydrodyne and slalom, trick, barefoot, kite fly, pyramid, shoe ski, adagio and enjoy as much as we can. This is a great association and I look forward to attending an event/regatta sometime! I need a windshield! Any sources?

Jeffrey