Wow....

Discussion in 'The Beach' started by kevinb, Nov 30, 2014.

1. kevinb

kevinb Elite Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1985 HD 20' I/O 350 (Yep I/O Boat #2 of maybe7?)
    Ski Team:
    NA
    Kind of an immediate halt all to the Forums. Someone has to be attempting to restore a HD this winter (although I don't recommend it in the northern reaches). The HD 20 I/O is in storage and have a few minor things to sort for next yr.

Happy Turkey Day!

Kevin Bugel-

2. dynebob1

dynebob1 Boat of the Month

Boat Model and Year:
    1998 18 OB RUA- 250XS.and 1997 Twin Rig /225 optis
    Kind of turned into a "Happy Birthday" forum.

3. kevinb

kevinb Elite Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    Ski Team:
    NA
    Perfect response Bob. Now if I could only get the music to the Happy Birthday song out of my head.

Tuning my (alpine, not water) skis and cutting wood today....and waiting for the Packers game. My Sl boards were purchased last fall and only skied on for two runs, but got left in the truck for two weeks last winter. The road salt had its way with them but the edges came back nicely. My daily driver (coaches skis) did not have any issues and also came back perfectly. Not really ready for the deep freeze again.

Hope all is well with you. BTW, did you get that stereo wired in you lawn tractor cab that you were working on back in October?

KTB

4. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Boat Model and Year:
    Twin Rigged Canoe
    Ski Team:
    East Palmdale Ski Rats
    Believe it or not, visits are only down slightly compared to the last several years during November. November/December are normally pretty slow, with traffic declining through February (which has been the slowest month every year). March is the normally the busiest month, followed by June.

5. dynebob1

Boat Model and Year:
    Kevin,

Yes ,

I installed the radio and speakers in my John Deere tractor along with a chute actuator to control the loft of the blower.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  6. kevinb

kevinb Elite Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    Ski Team:
    NA
    Hey Bryan:

Why didn't I get Birthday wishes on November 15th when the big day went by? Feeling kinda under appreciated.

Bob, the tractor and snow blower look ready to be put to work. Just don't get picked off by a bigger snowplow while UR clearing the end of the drive way with the Stereo blaring.

Mid 40's in the forecast for later this week so it will be a while before we are into it. Haven't started mine yet this yr and am counting on its reliability (early 1990's Simplicity 860 commercial 8 hp). Those folks in the southern and CA reaches must wonder :~).

7. dynebob1

Boat Model and Year:
    Kevin,

In hopes that I don't get picked off by the county plow that runs down the street at about 40m.p.h. I modified a boat antenna mount to hold a strobe light. It had to be made so it could be lowered to fit through the 7 ft. door on my machine shed. Between that and the (6) flashing lights on the cab and tractor, I hope they see me.

Bob

Attached Files:

8. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Boat Model and Year:
    Twin Rigged Canoe
    Ski Team:
    East Palmdale Ski Rats
    :( :( :( Hmmmmmmm......I don't know. Just made sure all your info is correct. Birthday is definitely in there. I don't know.

Happy belated birthday? LOL!!

9. kevinb

kevinb Elite Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    Ski Team:
    NA
    Thanks Bryan. Was missin' the love that everyone else was gettin'. Hopefully a short "Mud season" in the Midwest this year and a hot summer. The Gulf Stream change up with the rain in CA are actually a positive; we are in the low 40's today! Getting rid of that polar vortex crap and lingo for the weathermen.

Happy Holidays to all if I don't post before hand.

Kevin

10. timsprandel

timsprandel Elite Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1978 Hydrodyne Tournament Skier, 1984 Hydrodyne 20
    Bob,
    Having been one of those nutty municipal/government types of plowboys for many years, Kevin makes lots of sense. One former member of the team I was assigned to used the International 4900 to clean up a curb. He kept the plow properly located in the street without letting the 12 foot blade ride up on any curbs. One unfortunate problem occurred when the top right corner of the curved blade impacted a few very nice brick mailboxes, doing a fair amount of damage by shattering brick, mortar and some of the cut stone caps along the way. As some governmental units allow the "village idiots" to operate heavy equipment at above average speeds, the formula for intense personal injury is in play. Your John Deere is admittedly tricked out and ready for what we were told was going to be a seriously ugly snowy winter. I am not complaining at all when I was out picking up the Sunday Tribune and the balmy warmth of the mid-day sun had me thinking of running up to Michigan and going for a cruise on the St. Joseph River in my aluminum 14' Mirro Craft. This just means that one or another of the governmental units now has the green light to mess with the weather.

Seriously though, keep your eyes wide open and mount some type of motion-sensing unit on the rear of your snow cab that will give you the warning you need to flee the behemoth plow trucks. Typically, the drivers are as conscientious as humanly possible; the laws of physics prevent stopping on a dime, especially when temperatures are dropping like a rock and the roadway has a fine layer of ice on it. When the former employer allowed me the privilege of running the old Dresser Rand Articulated Front Loader, the mere bump of the blade on that crazy little curb would send the loader sliding around. Maybe into an illegally parked car or one of the aforementioned mailboxes. The Dresser Rand was pretty awesome at moving snow, especially when it stayed around 30 degrees F. The big problem came when the winds would shift to the north west and the frigid Canadian air mass would turn the town into an ice rink. Since the right side window wouldn't stay up, even a well insulated driver would end up with a bad cold or some officious upper respiratory ailment, even earaches.
    Oh yeah, Have a merry Christmas and plenty of New Year Cheer.