Hydrodyne 20 foot

Discussion in 'Hydrodyne® Boats' started by Christian, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Christian

Christian Hydrodyner

Ski Team:
    none
    What do you guys know about the 20 foot dynes? I picked up an old restoration project, needs new floor, transom, and stringers. Tell me what you know! Im new to rebuilding and plan on doing most of the work myself with a few buddies. I'm thinking about using douglas fir and epoxy for the stringers. Any tips or suggestions and resources would be appreciated!

2. Christian

Christian Hydrodyner

Ski Team:
    none
    i think i know how to replace the stringers but what do i do about the transom? How will stringers be attached to transom?

3. footndale

footndale Established Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    None
    Ski Team:
    Retired
  4. kevinb

kevinb Elite Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1985 HD 20' I/O 350 (Yep I/O Boat #2 of maybe7?)
    Ski Team:
    NA
    Hi Christian:

Some pictures of your project would help. I have redone a couple post-1973 Hydrodyne floors in a 1975 18 (i/o) and a 1985 20 (i/o) and beyond the motor struts for an i/o, the rest should be the same if you are renovating a HD 20 outboard. The link pics to the 20 i/o stringers are attached. There are several schools of thought as to what materials to use as well. I choose douglass fur fir the stringers, marine ply for the deck, and polyester resin for both floors as did the original builders but there are composite structural materials and epoxy resin out there as well. If you have a true 20 (post 1982), it should have an end grain balsa core and hopefully not breached. The transom can vary in thickness for outboards but should not be greater than two sheets of 3/4 marine ply sandwitched togather (~2 inches total) with cloth and resin for an i/o. The Transom should extend 1.0 to 1.5 inches below the top of the core and sealed extensively. my HD 20 I/O rebuild is in the restoration page at the following link.

http://www.hydrodyners.com/forum/index.php?threads/1985-hydrodyne-20-i-o-restoration.1673/

Best regards and ask lots of questions, this community is known to help!

Kevin-

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015