SOLD 1975 Hydrodyne 18' I/O Tournament Skier....Amazing.

Discussion in 'Classified Ads' started by kevinb, Jun 6, 2013.

1. kevinb

kevinb Elite Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1985 HD 20' I/O 350 (Yep I/O Boat #2 of maybe7?)
    Ski Team:
    NA
    We have been the privileged custodians of this Hydrodyne 18 I/O since December 1998, and it has been truly a pleasure owning, using and maintaining it (I hope the pictures reflect this). We are going to be launching our recently acquired (April 2012) and restored 1985 HD 20 I/O this spring/summer and have to part with this great piece of history. The boat is located in Brookfield, Wisconsin.

The 75 18 I/O has a 351 CID, 233 HP V-8 Mercruiser power-plant with a 2 barrel Rochester carb and retains all of its original equipment and parts, less a trim motor which was replaced in 2007. The 351CID 233 HP engine had a short run and was only produced from 1976 to 1977. The hull was laid up in 1975 and the power-plant came in 1976, and then was stolen or MIA for a year. Please see the back story below). It was resold by Ab Jr. to the first registered owner in MI in 1977.

It has plenty of hole shot and sips fuel compared to some of the newer inboards that I've been in which is definitely a weight to power ratio issue with the newer inboards as in they're heavy in comparison.

The boat sale will include the original bill of sale signed by Ab Crosby Jr., the warrantee card, the owner’s Mercruiser maintenance manuals, several receipts through the years, and a very detailed Mercruiser Shop Manual that I purchased back in 1999 for the engine and out drive. The stereo will not be included if the asking price is not met.

The boat was placed into a sales commission agreement last summer with a local dealer for $10,000 (which was a bit of a reach in my opinion) but did not sell. My NEW (7-25-2013) price is $6,500 $6,000 (Bump:) ) but will entertain “reasonable offers” no barters or low-ball offers please (Can store again in the off-season but don't like to see it go unused; did go out on the 4th of July!). I can be reached via PM through this web-site or at ktbugel@gmail.com.

A Gallery of large photos can be viewed at the following link:

https://picasaweb.google.com/103493629086672686443/1975HydrodyneTournamentSkier#

The Back Story

The Bugel’s 1975 Hydrodyne – A Boat with a “RAP Sheet”

After our purchase in 1998, I spoke to Ab E. Crosby Jr. (Ab Jr.) a few times and exchanged emails to gather information regarding the Hydrodyne Tournament skier hulls (1967 through 1978). Ab Jr. was a wealth of knowledge and also shared some insightfulness to his dad's philosophy regarding their boat designs. Apparently there were differences in perception regarding Ab Sr. believed versus Ab Jr. regarding what the and market place wanted during the production of these hulls. According to Ab Jr., they had differences in opinion regarding creature comforts and other options or lack of for the Tournament Skier.

Through Ab Jr., I was also enlightened with some rather interesting and colorful history on my boat. I emailed Ab inquired about the dual throttle configuration in mid-August 2000. Ab Jr. responded immediately, inviting me to call him as the story was too lengthy to email. During our phone conversation, Ab recalled that our boat was a “special order” boat and a "one-of-a-kind" due to the dual throttle control setup.

When in gear, the spotter can control the boat speed via second throttle and aft mounted speedometer. He recalled that this boat was originally ordered for Flat-Kite (pre-hangliding) flying by a CypressGardens barefooter/performer named Ken Tibado. Ken’s claim to fame was his barefoot beach start (one of the first to do this). The boat was completed and ready for delivery to Mr. Tibado in 1975 when it was stolen from the Spencerville, Indiana plant. Approximately 2 years later, Ab Jr. was down in Florida on sales and marketing visits and came across the boat (recognized by the dual throttles). Ab Jr. took possession, and brought it back to Indiana.

There is more to the story as Ab Jr. indicated he almost went to jail due to his aggressive recovery of the boat. Seems that the individual who had possession of it in Florida, didn't want to give it up and immediately had a Judge (friend) issue a warrant for Ab Jr.'s arrest, while in transit. Needless to say, Ab said he got out of Florida abruptly. Once back in Indiana, Ab had the Mercury folks take the out drive off and matched the internal stamped serial #’s with company records to demonstrate that the boat was stolen. Ab indicated that in the end, the law enforcement folk determined that the individual who had possession of the boat in Florida was part of the theft ring; He didn't get the boat back.

Attached Files:

• 01.JPG
      01.JPG
      File size:
      806.2 KB
      Views:
  2. kevinb

kevinb Elite Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    Ski Team:
    NA
    I should mention that I can answer specific questions regarding the sale/purchase of the 75 HD Tournament skier at 262-408-8839. If I don't pick up during normal working hours, leave a message and # and I'll follow up after 5:00 pm CST.

Thanks,

Kevin Bugel-

3. kevinb

kevinb Elite Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    Ski Team:
    NA
    I will be listing on BoatTrader.com this weekend with the same specifics but really wanted the 75 to end up in this community. BTW, BoatTrader is where I originally discovered it and offers a much broader audience, it has been a great tow rig but we don't need two boats.

Kevin-

4. kevinb

kevinb Elite Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    Ski Team:
    NA
  5. kevinb

kevinb Elite Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    Ski Team:
    NA
    A little price adjustment for a bump on 07-25-2013. Please see the add.

Thank you,

Kevin-

6. kevinb

kevinb Elite Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    Ski Team:
    NA
    Our HD 18 i/o will be traveling to Avon, Colorado next week to join its new owner/custodian. There are 15 years of fond memories that are tied to this boat that will not be lost or forgotten; a new chapter begins next summer with the HD 20 i/o now that it is ready to launch (2 years in the making). Bryan I'll send you a PM as well but you can mark it as "Sold"! Thanks Hydrodyners!

Kevin-

7. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Boat Model and Year:
    Twin Rigged Canoe
    Ski Team:
    East Palmdale Ski Rats
    Done. Congrats on the sale Kevin!