1996 Grand Sport PCM GT40 EFI Starter issues

Discussion in 'Hydrodyne® Boats' started by wwuboarder82, Apr 14, 2011.

1. wwuboarder82

wwuboarder82

Boat Model and Year:
    1996 Grand Sport (closed bow)
    Hello,

I have a 1996 Hydrodine Grand Sport with the PCM Ford GT40 351 EFI. I was having trouble starting the engine and eventually it wouldn't turn over and was just ticking. By tapping on the starter while turning the key I was able to start it up. Seems pretty clear that it's a starter issue. I am writing to find out first off, if anyone knows the part number for the starter I need? Also, can the solenoid be replaced on this starter, or am I forced to replace the entire starter? I appreciate your help.

Thank you!

2. hotstang

hotstang

Boat Model and Year:
    Grandsport 195
    A few things to check before changing the starter. Begin with checking the battery. Have the volts and load tested with a tool (for free) at any Autozone, Advance Auto, etc. Then ensure that all of your conections and terminals are clean and tight (including the ground to the block) You may have to disconnect each one and clean with a wire brush or electrical cleaner. If you are get full battery voltage/amps to the starter and still having problems I would take the starter to your local starter/alternator shop for rework. This is usually a lot cheaper than buying a new marine starter.

3. stapletm

stapletm Established Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1970, 18' Outboard, 1974 18" Outboard
    I agree with hotstang, likely a battery or connection issue, not the starter. Do what's easiest first, clean up (wire brush)and tighten all your connections (especially at the battery), and try again. Then test the battery and try again. Then and only then I might start to suggest the starter. They like lots of amps when engaging and spinning, and corrosion compromises amps, ie you volt meter will work fine, but your atarter won't start.

4. JVPRK

JVPRK New Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1995 Hydrodyne Grand Sport
    Hi, If you still haven't gotten your starting problem fixed (or it's intermitent) try replacing your "Slave" Solenoid. From the starter follow the red cable UP, it should lead you to just under your electronic fuel injection box. Under there, and it's a bear to get to, is your slave solenoid. They run about $15 bucks at your local auto parts store. Just remember how you it was wired up if you replace it. I've gone through 2 over the last 17 years. It stumped me for years -- always the same thing, the motor wouldn't kick over, you'd hear clicks from the starter, I did the tapping with the hammer thing, which sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. Then a car buff buddy told me about the slave solenoid and sure enough, I replaced it and she kicks over as soon as I turn the key. Good luck.