Forum Upgrade - New Forum Software

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Bryan, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Boat Model and Year:
    Twin Rigged Canoe
    Ski Team:
    East Palmdale Ski Rats
    Hello all,

Please pardon our dust following the forum upgrade. If you have any questions or need help signing in, please don't hesitate to email me at bryan@wswd.net.

Why the Upgrade?

Xenforo (the forum software powering the new forum) is the newest and one of the most up-to-date forum softwares available on the market. It is a commercial/paid forum software unlike the old forum, phpBB.

The upgrade was made due to the lack of updates to the phpBB software, and due to the amount of spam sign-ups we were receiving. It was often taking me days to a week or more to activate accounts, due to the fact that we needed to change to manual activation. We are now back to email activation, with some additional spam countermeasures in place, so new user activation should again be instantaneous.

Customization

Right now, we are more or less using the default forum style, with a few modifications. I'm hoping to update the theme in the future to match the Hydrodyne red, white, and blue scheme a little better.

Ease of Use

This forum should be a lot easier to use than the old, especially on modern things like adding images, attachments, embedding Youtube videos, etc.

What's Broken?

Hopefully nothing. :D I realize that the latest posts on the home page is broken, and the member count will not update quite yet. The Member Videos Site will also not allow uploads, due to the permissions being controlled by the old forum. These are all on the to-do list, in the order I listed, and should be repaired shortly.

Anything Missing?

Everything that was on the old forum should be here, including PMs (now called Conversations), images, attachments, posts, etc. If there is anything missing, the old forum and database are still around (but hidden), and will not go away until we are sure that everything is working here.

I hope everyone enjoys the new forum, and as always, suggestions/issues are always appreciated. Please let me know.