Fractured Tibia and Fibula

Discussion in 'The Beach' started by 1964dyne, Jul 15, 2010.

1. 1964dyne

1964dyne

Boat Model and Year:
    1964 Tournement Skier
    On July 5th while Slalom skiing, I came around one ball and things went wrong. My rear foot came out of my binding. I had a wierd kind of torqued twist fall. I ended up breaking my tibia and fibula on my right leg. They did a temporary fix at Charlotte Medical Center. I have to go back in for surgery at 6 AM on Thursday. Is anyone aware of anyone who had a similar injury and how their recovery went? I know that Jennifer Leachman had a similar injury many years ago and I am trying to catch up with her. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks, Chad

2. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Boat Model and Year:
    Twin Rigged Canoe
    Ski Team:
    East Palmdale Ski Rats
    Ummmmm...ouch?!?!

Good luck with the surgery. Tibia fractures are very slow healing because it has a poor blood supply. If it's a clean break from the torque, it should at least heal better than if it was a messy break.

3. 1964dyne

1964dyne

Boat Model and Year:
    1964 Tournement Skier
    Surgery today was cancelled due to a blister that developed under the ace and splint. Hopefully next week the blister will be healed and surgery can be completed. I have not seen the X-Rays but part of the fracture goes down into the ankle so it is somewhat complicated, I don't think it was a clean break. At lease it was not a compound fracture.

Chad