HELP

Discussion in 'Questions/Comments' started by Gary Hawkins, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Gary Hawkins

Gary Hawkins New Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    Runabout 17ft outboard
    This was my Dads boat that i found years after his death . Dont know if it can be fix . Hopefully this site can tell me something . Thanks 20130413_121605.jpg 20130413_121547.jpg

2. wentworthto1

wentworthto1 Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1961 Hydrodyne I/O BB70
    Hi Gary,
    Your boat looks to be an early 1960's model due to the one piece windshield. I can't see if it is an outboard or i/o? Whenever there is damage to the keel like that, I guarantee that water has gotten into the hull and compromised the core. The core is the main support and flotation of the boat and the keel is the "back bone" of the hull. There are ways to explore the condition before ripping into it. Take a screw driver handle and tap along the bottom of the boat. There should not be any "thuds", only solid, sharp crisp sounds. The crack can be cut away for now to take a better look. The boat otherwise looks solid. Can you send us some more indepth pictures inside and out? Take a look at my posts under restoration, and you can see the structure as I rebuilt my '61. If you are not interested in fixing it up, let me know. Where are you located?

Todd Wentworth

3. Gary Hawkins

Boat Model and Year:
    Runabout 17ft outboard
    Thanks for looking Todd. It's an outboard it had a merc 100 1960. I think it was the first of the black one , not sure. The motor was missing when i found the boat in the woods only five miles from where we use to live . I just bought another inline merc for it but this one has power trim, it's an 115.I take more pics today .

4. Gary Hawkins

Boat Model and Year:
    Runabout 17ft outboard
    Oh forgot im in Mississippi. The Boat came from ponchatoula la.

5. Gary Hawkins

Boat Model and Year:
    Runabout 17ft outboard
    more pics

6. kevinb

kevinb Elite Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1985 HD 20' I/O 350 (Yep I/O Boat #2 of maybe7?)
    Ski Team:
    NA
    Actually, these boats were laid up with basla core in the hull for their structural properties and foam was added for flotation under the gunnels ( and sometimes under the false floor of the post 1970's boats). If the balsa core (approx 2 inches laid up in the bottom of the hull) has been compromised, ther is a bit of a project a head. See the restoration section and inquire with those that have dealt with this.

Attached is a very old link to how the balsa was placed.

http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/File:Hydrodynem65002.jpg

http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/File:Hydrodynem65001.jpg

My Best,

Kevin-

7. Gary Hawkins

Boat Model and Year:
    Runabout 17ft outboard
    Thanks Kevin

8. Gary Hawkins

Boat Model and Year:
    Runabout 17ft outboard
    Im gonna put it up for sale . i also have a another boat and motor that goes with it