Uh Oh, another boat.

Discussion in 'The Beach' started by stapletm, Oct 5, 2011.

1. stapletm

stapletm Established Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1970, 18' Outboard, 1974 18" Outboard
    Some mods? Sweet! (As my son would say)

2. stapletm

Boat Model and Year:
    What is that little silver/black round thing on the instrument bubble just above the tach?

3. dynebob1

dynebob1 Boat of the Month

Boat Model and Year:
    1998 18 OB RUA- 250XS.and 1997 Twin Rig /225 optis
    Because I put in the tilting Sea-Star hydraulic steeering helm I also put in the remote fill option. That chrome ring and plastic cap is where you filled the hydraulic system when first installed. It's easier than trying to fill it with a catsup bottle under the dash.

4. stapletm

Boat Model and Year:
    Do you find you use the tilt much or did you set it and forget it?

5. dynebob1

dynebob1 Boat of the Month

Boat Model and Year:
    1998 18 OB RUA- 250XS.and 1997 Twin Rig /225 optis
    Mike,

Because the seat is so low I do use it for ease of getting in and out. They also make a wedge mount that tilts the wheeel up for clearance.
    I have this wedge mount on the other 18 I'm building, and will probably run it as is if the clearance getting in and out of the drivers seat is adequate. (See Pic.)

Attached Files:

• 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      470.9 KB
      Views:
  6. stapletm

Boat Model and Year:
    So, a good weekend was had by all, best Canadian Thanksgiving on record temp wise!. Boat went in our lake for the first time (I think), and the whole family had a ski, just to try her out in original (to us) condition. My wife’s comment after taking me for a ski was that she thinks this might have to be her boat as she liked the feel and maneuverability of it more than our bigger boat, which curiously is about the same length, but not as light or low to the water. Still, I count that as a positive comment, given the buy in it implies ;-)
    The old white motor has some issues, but all minor from what I could tell which will hopefully work in my favor when I sell it in the spring. The boat also has issues. Some rot from where a windshield used to be attached especially where there’s plywood embedded above the passenger seat. The floor is soft in a few places, so likely the stringers as well. Not sure if the core has any issues, but I’m hoping not. Transom is also questionable. I suspect it’s shot as there’s some questionable looking crack across the top, but I didn’t drill any holes to investigate, that can wait. Good news is there’s been very few holes cut into it over the years, and as there never was a gas tank up front (although there is the squared out box hole for it up front) the space up front is intact, fairly clean, and dry. The foam up there is totally intact and dry.
    While the weather up here is still good to very good, I know it won’t be for long, so we ended the weekend with fogging, draining and wrapping up for her long winter’s nap. While my son in particular is somewhat peeved we can’t work on it in the city over the winter, fact is we don’t really have the room, or the time to work on it over the winter in the city, so away she went.
    Thanks for all who have helped with info along the thread!