We're Moving!!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Bryan, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Boat Model and Year:
    Twin Rigged Canoe
    Ski Team:
    East Palmdale Ski Rats
    We have outgrown our current server (well...not just Hydrodyners, but "we" in general, ha ha!) and will be moving to a new server within the next 24-72 hours. She is about 2 blocks away from our current datacenter, and ridiculously powerful. Should be fun. :D

I have set up the DNS on the domain so that assuming your ISP is on-the-ball, there should be (at most) a 15 minute period of time in which you might be accessing the wrong server. As such, if you make a post and it disappears, that is why. You posted it on the old server when the new server was active. If your ISP is not on-the-ball, there could be anywhere from 24-72 hours in which strange things can happen.

Amongst other minor issues, the member videos might be down for an extended time until the appropriate software is uploaded to the new server.

Thanks!

2. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Boat Model and Year:
    Twin Rigged Canoe
    Ski Team:
    East Palmdale Ski Rats
    Well,

Allow me to apologize for the downtime. It has been the first major downtime in a looooong time, so it was frustrating to ruin that record, to say the least.

After the server move, we were up and running for over a week. For you techies out there, our RAID card burnt up, and basically, our drive array was gradually corrupted. In turn, our backups were corrupted.

Where are we now?

We're about a week behind as far as the database and posts are concerned, as the database was corrupted and that's the last uncorrupted copy we have. If you posted within that time, it is unfortunately lost.

Sorry again for the inconvenience.

3. timsprandel

timsprandel Elite Hydrodyner

Boat Model and Year:
    1978 Hydrodyne Tournament Skier, 1984 Hydrodyne 20
    Bryan,
    I thought RAID was bug spray for cockroaches and other creepy crawly kinda critters that hang out under old stuff behind peoples' garages. How did it get into a computer server card?
    OK, seriously now, how much space is on each drive and is this server running UEFI or some other OS to allow >2 gig drives? When can the Hydrodyner's.com membership buy stock in WSWD as a business venture capitalist holding? How many drives can the new server hold? What type of data bandwidth can the server process with proper packet inspection, etc? What about twin-rigged servers, like your canoe?

Thanks for answering all of these questions.
    Tim

4. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Boat Model and Year:
    Twin Rigged Canoe
    Ski Team:
    East Palmdale Ski Rats
    Ha ha ha!!! :laughing:

Let me see if I can answer your questions (and maybe even in order!):

6 drive 1TB RAID10 array, on CentOS 64-bit...not quite yet (ha!)...9 drives...5TB at 1gbps...and the canoe...it doesn't get better than a twin-rigged canoe!! :D